Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Mommy's Pajama Sissy -- Part 1

Last fall, shortly before Halloween, the weather turned suddenly very cold.  Our house is rather drafty so I wanted to be sure that my teenage son Tommy stayed warm.  But I then discovered that, over the summer, he had outgrown all of his winter pajamas.  Since Tommy and I were about the same size, I suggested to Tommy that he borrow a pair of my flannel pjs.  I handed Tommy a set that was white with a pale blue floral print.  I thought he might protest, but he didn't.

When Tommy emerged from his room wearing my pajamas, I could tell that his mood had brightened.  He went into my bedroom and stood in front of the big mirror, admiring his reflection. "Do you like those pjs, Tommy?"  I asked.


"Oh yes, Mommy.  I do.  I think they are very pretty," he said.  "Mommy," he continued hesitantly, "Do you think I'm pretty?"

"Pretty?" I responded with surprise.  "Well, I never thought about it, but yes, I suppose you are pretty."

He smiled.  "I want to be pretty.  Pretty like you," he said, still gazing at his reflection.

I was puzzled but also very touched by what he said.  "Well, maybe I can help you to be even prettier," I suggested.  I sat Tommy down at my vanity and started to brush out his hair.  His curly, dirty blonde hair hung down nearly to his shoulders.  As a boy, his long hair gave him a wild, surfer dude look.  But as I brushed it I realized just how pretty his hair was.  I gathered up some of his hair and pinned it up in back.  I brushed out a few tendrils and let them fall to the sides of his face.  I dabbed some pink gloss on his lips and brushed a little blush on his cheeks.  When I asked him if he wanted me to spritz him with a little cologne, he said, "Yes please, Mommy."

Tommy and I proceeded to spend a delightful evening together, both of us wearing pretty flannel pjs.  We snuggled up together under a blanket on the couch and watched tv together, something we hadn't done since Tommy was just a little boy.

That night, I even tucked Tommy into his bed.  He did indeed look very pretty, with his lips and cheeks pinked with my make-up and his brushed out hair falling across the pillows.  I kissed him good night on the forehead and he said, "Thank you Mommy."

As I turned off his light and closed the door to his bedroom, I wondered if this was going to prove to be a one-time event.  I suspected it would not be.

1 comment:

Lee said...

A beautiful start,
but where shall it lead?
Perhaps more lazy evenings together.
Training in kitten heels to lead where?